Tuesday, October 20, 2015

What. The. Hell.


Last time I noticed Naomi Wolf, she wrote an article in Harper's Bazaar on how Angelina Jolie is what every woman strives to be. What started as an overgeneralization of women's aspirations, turned into a love letter to Jolie. I assumed Wolf was just temporarily insane, or perhaps she really was in love with Angelina Jolie. My mom seemed obsessed with Jolie at the time. I remember my mom calling me up to tell me about a dream she had where Angelina Jolie was twirling her long dragon tail. I laughed, and told my mom she is under the spell of a professional seductress, and she should lay off the Tomb Raider.

Then, yesterday I saw a tweet from Cosmopolitan promoting an article by Wolf. Cosmo took a break from their usual reporting on how to orgasm 15 times in under 20 minutes, or how to do Pilates while fucking, or what kind of clothes to wear if your body is unfortunately not akin to a salamander with cantaloupe tits, because they needed to answer the pressing question of our time, Do blondes have more fun? And who was the mastermind behind this scientific research, Naomi Wolf.

After picking my jaw up off the kitchen table, I dove into Wikipedia to try and understand how the woman who wrote The Beauty Myth is now slinging puff pieces to a magazine that, above all, propagates the beauty myth. Wikipedia revealed that Wolf's professional success has taken a nose dive in the last decade. She's turned into an extreme conspiracy theorist who has been ostracized by much of the journalist community.

Her craziness seems like my cup of tea; conspiracy theories, scientific vagina studies, and ridiculous over generalizations. However, after seeing the Cosmo tweet, I can't even indulge in her bat shit ideas because she turned into what she preached against; her radicalism totally negated. Who cares what the findings of her Brunette vs. Blonde study will be. I think I'd rather read the article on Pilates fucking.

No comments:

Post a Comment