Friday, October 16, 2015

Tweet Your Business


There was a campaign called Tweet your abortion on Twitter. The purpose is to show the world you don't feel ashamed of your medical choice. The campaign was in response to the right wing rampage to eliminate Planned Parenthood where one of their platforms was that mostly all women regret having abortions. This is false, and I read plenty of surveys that say exactly the opposite (damn statistics) so many women used Twitter as a way to voice there is no shame in their abortion game.
I think it was a great use of social media to rebut a damning claim, but as a feminist, I find it pathetic we have to go to such deep levels of disclosure when trying to attain a fundamental right. People don't have to tweet their medical conditions to get care, and all sex related conditions are considered personal, so why must women need to divulge their medical history in a public manner in order to be heard. No one is forcing people with herpes to bound together and announce they require medical help for their STD. There shouldn't need to be proof that there is lack of shame, shame should be irrelevant in healthcare provisions.
So for all those women who are thinking, "This is bull shit, Im not tweeting my fucking abortion, and it doesn't mean I regret it, or that I am ashamed, it just means, it's fucking personal." You can take a deep breath because I agree with you.
There are factors from people's upbringings that can allow anyone to have wavering feelings about their choice. I for one am booking myself an appointment for confession on December 9th because, like my staunch Catholic Grandma said, "It's better to be on the safe side." She was affirming Pascal's Wager, and with the "Year of Mercy" appointed by the church, why not get a clear conscious because it's hard to escape religious tenants that have been drilled into your head since childhood.
I also think it might be good idea to book an appointment for confession if you drink primarily bottled water because I don't think any God who might hold you down for having abortion, is going to open the gates for someone who buys water by the pallet, or who buys those teeny tiny water bottles that hold two gulps worth.
My Grandfather, who was also Catholic, said to me, "I think that any God will accept any person who has lived a good life. Faith is not necessary for salvation."

Both my Grandparents said things that were not Catholic, shedding light on the ambivalence in damnation for someone who is not worshipping the same way as them. Walter Kaufmann says in Critique of Religion and Philosophy,
“What Pascal overlooked was the hair-raising possibility that God might out-Luther Luther. A special area in hell might be reserved for those who go to mass. Or God might punish those whose faith is prompted by prudence. Perhaps God prefers the abstinent to those who whore around with some denomination he despises. Perhaps he reserves special rewards for those who deny themselves the comfort of belief. Perhaps the intellectual ascetic will win all while those who compromised their intellectual integrity lose everything."
Kaufman is saying that my Grandma's idea will get you a special seat in hell. I'm not worried about Grams because even though she provided this advice to her grandchildren, she was of deep faith. If I take this line of thinking and apply it to abortion and sin, it seems Kaufmann thinks women who are ashamed and guilt ridden about their abortion and women who are completely unashamed will be free of sin, ultimate judgement, however, women who teeter on skepticism, but hit the confession booth for reassurance, well they're screwed. I hope a Twitter campaign comes along soon to alleviate this third group who keeps finding themselves in the hot seat, there are souls at stake here, we need hashtags, STAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment