Friday, October 16, 2015

Naturainteruptus


My sister called me after work, "You will not believe what happened when I walked to my car!"
The possibilities were too much for me to narrow in on one theory. "Oh, gosh, I don't know."
"I walked right into a fucking tree brach! It kind of hurt, but I just kept on going because I felt so stupid."
"Hahaha! I have a word for that! Naturinterruptus!"

I read a very cool article on Japan and Germany's extensive vocabularies. There are many words that are considered untranslatable because it takes a couple sentences to explain, however, the explanations are so common and relatable anyone can understand the meaning. I started an ongoing list of things that should be simplified by a one word expression. One word is "Impractidoggybag," which means wrapping up leftover food knowing you aren't going to get around to eating it, creating additional waste. Or "Foodsuponreturn" the happy sight of seeing your food has arrived to the table during the time you went to the bathroom.

Naturinterruptus came to me on a jog. I always start out my run by brushing the top of my head on low hanging branches on a neighbor's tree. I like to touch the tree with my head. I do this often when I'm walking under a tree, I pop my head up under a branch, hoping to make contact. These are thought out moments where I reach out toward nature, however, there are times when nature reaches out to us, and when were oblivious, it can be as brutal as a face smacking into the trunk of a tree.
Usually, these time are jarring because of the unexpectedness, but luckily the pain is muted by embarrassment, especially if contact occurred in a crowded place and there was an audience for your Naturinterruptus. The audience cringes as you compose yourself, recovering from feeling assaulted, but overcome with happiness you weren't blinded by a twig.

Last night I read my book in bed, and a fly was driving me bonkers by running its buzzing body into my head, the book, and my bedside lamp. I was too lazy to get up and try to murder it, but I gave it a couple body flailing hand slaps, that must have caused some damage, but he remained undeterred in bugging me. Whenever the fly got next to my ear I'd become less annoyed and more disgusted, imagining the fly laying eggs in my ear. After a couple times where the fly came so close to my ear I nearly punched myself in the side of the head, I noticed the fly sounds like a muffled kazoo.
I hadn't noticed a fly sounding this way before, and made a note in my "New Words" list, to think about this some more.
I think I know why my house is so dirty. Thats called having my priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment