Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Selfie Stick


Im going to Tokyo the first week of August. I've never traveled alone, so I have some concerns, but mostly all of them will dissipate after I buy a selfie stick on Amazon for fifteen bucks. The remaining concern is that I will travel across the globe, and not utter a word besides arigatō to another human being for seven days. But I really don't actually believe this could happen. Besides, I always have Tinder if I'm overcome with loneliness.

I feel pretty ballsy going over there on my own. Its a bonafide Stella Got Her Groove back vacation. I am impressed by this newfound confidence. I attribute some of it to watching kids movies and reading a lot of kid books, all full of confidence building propaganda for young children that I'm reaping the rewards of. Today we watched Rock Dog. We've watched it already quite a few times, and each time I'm left bathing in an I-can-do-anything afterglow. Listen to Glorious, the uber inspirational song from the movie, it's as heart warming as thinking of your grandmother's cooking.

Maybe I was influenced by Rock Dog in other ways, since the cartoon is set in Tokyo. Rock and Roll park is based on Yoyogi Park, and while researching things to do in the city, I found out about the Rockabilly subculture of Tokyo.

I recently complained to my ex that the rockabilly culture Sacramento clings to is tired, and contributes to the city being voted the second ugliest in the US. He tried to convince me hipsters live in midtown. Well, whenever I go down there, all I see are Bettie Page lookalikes and dudes with cigs rolled up in the t-shirt sleeves. It's a Grease reenactment. Sac Town is proving some under the radar coolness here.

Two years ago we went to Vancouver for vacation. We had a great time. The last day we walked to Granville Market Island, but instead of using the ferry boats mentioned in the guides, we decided we'd walk over the bridge. This added at least an hour on the walk, and gave me chest grabbing anxiety thinking my daughter was about to jump out of the stroller and step onto a very busy freeway.
When we arrived, we needed to eat and found a delicious restaurant to relax in before walking through the market, then we smartly took the ferry back, making the walk to the hotel much shorter and more enjoyable.

At the hotel we realized we left Kiki's treasured blanket at the restaurant. We called the restaurant and they said they found it and put it at the hostess stand for us. We decided to get it in the morning. Very unwise because we never considered the restaurant wouldn't be open at 9am. To avoid listening to my daughter scream and cry the entire trip back to Sacramento, I planned to lie to her and say blankie was in the suitcase, and then let the cat out of the bag when we were safe within our house.
The strangest thing occurred. We got in the cab, and told the driver our predicament, and how we'd wanted to go to this restaurant to pick up the blanket but they are closed, and the driver said, "Oh, my son works there. I will call him."
So he called his son, who was at the restaurant doing prep work. We drove there and blankie was was returned to my daughter's arms. It was a magical turn of events, that everyone benefited from because we tipped the cabby in a euphoric state of gratitude.

I keep this story in mind as I plan my trip. There are some coincidences that are too perfect, orchestrated to amaze. The trip is going to be awesome, and I'm looking forward to whats in store for me in the city of the rising neon sun. If I get nervous, I have a library of confidence boosting books to read through, like Little Critter's, All By Myself. But I don't need it yet, I'm too excited! Arigatō very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment