Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Ice Cream For Breakfast


A lot to get done... Eat some ice cream.
This week is super busy for me; my class has a big exam next week that I needed to write and make the review for, the family I tutor for added another night a week, House of Cards started back up, and my little Georgie has decided to wake up at 5 am every morning.
I'm finding myself working until midnight every night, and then having to wake up at five am, from a night's sleep that was interrupted at least once by a kid having to pee or needing a snuggle after a nightmare.
Last night I came home and had a headache. I took tylenol, and then kicked myself because it ruined my plan to take NyQuil and fall asleep with Kiki at 7:30. It turned out to not be an issue because I was able to fall asleep at 8 without sleep aid.
Someone once told me, "If you ever want something to get done, then ask the busiest person you know."
As I keep piling more stuff on my plate I am finding there is more to do. Last night, I took George pee at 3:45 in the morning, and after I put him back to bed, I laid awake for over an hour thinking about the kids needing to eat more green veggies, and how I will go about making this happen.
The night before I woke up from a dream that I was riding a roller coaster and my harness was not fastened securely, so I was holding on tight to make sure I didn't fly off. The roller coaster even went under water, and I held tight while submerged waiting to take a breath of air again.
Roller coasters are a usual stress dream I have, same with being on a crashing airplane, being a student in a class I forgot to attend all term and realizing I have a test that day, or I am on an elevator that shoots way up into the clouds and I'm getting nervous of the heights.
This makes me wonder what people dreamed about in times of stress before the industrial revolution, or commercial flight. I suppose they could dream their ox ran away, and they needed to plow the field, or a fire burned their house down, or their stocked larder flooded and months worth of food is ruined. Most of the scenarios I'm envisioning involve natural disaster.
During these times, when I feel the weight of a hefty to-do list, I usually rely on good food to provide comfort and stress relief. As a student I was convinced the best way to prepare for an exam was to eat a meatball sub, where studying came in second. This morning, as I'm writing tomorrow's powerpoint, I'm having ice cream with my coffee, and instead of feeling overwhelmed, I feel light and at ease, like an all around accomplished go-getter.  
After today my work load will decrease significantly for a couple weeks, so waking up throughout the night won't be as devastating since I won't follow up my kids' potty trips and nightmare snuggles with hours of thinking of more stuff to do. I will blissfully fall back to sleep and dream about wonderful things, like drinking coffee and eating ice cream or a warm meatball sub.


No comments:

Post a Comment