Thursday, January 14, 2016

Clearing My Mind With Yoga and Parapsychology

You are what you eat? think? collective mind?
I do yoga when I'm looking to calm anxiety and clarify my intentions. I like to do a Recovery & Rejuvenation video on YouTube. It's perfect since it's less than 20 minutes, so George can attempt alongside, crawl all over me, and play with his toys, without noticing I'm doing something for myself, and demanding I stop.
This morning I needed to get into yoga after talking to my mom, who doesn't realize what an anxiety inducing person she is. She thinks she is doing me a favor by continuously pointing out the least favorable scenario, and reassuring me that if this does occur, I'm still a good person.
So when I calmly hang up on her, I'm directed toward yoga where I can absolve myself of the feelings recently injected into me, causing havoc on my intentions.
I was thinking about yoga, and how in the Western world, it's such a "housewife" thing to do, or a way for a woman to claim her "me time." My best idea of why women, in particular home makers, embrace yoga is because the mind is given a lot of opportunity to process information. My day is filled with a lot of deep thought. Even when I'm playing with the kids, I can think about things that I would not be allowed to do if I were in a cubicle waiting for clacking heels to come up around my door, and the body atop, cackle at her every word, while waiting for me to cackle along in an obligatory ego stroke.
While I clean toilets, cook food, sweep, organize, and nurture, I think. This is a luxury. As people skim Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and various other online favorites, they are pulled away from their own mind. It's an unconscious abandonment, one that distances the self from the mind. So are homemakers better at being with themselves because they are used to thinking?
Perhaps it is all marketing. Lulu Lemon slings two hundred dollar yoga pants to women, and it's because they are able to convince them that $200 brings them closer to becoming a spiritual being. Are women just more susceptible to marketing, and buying into the hype that is dispelled from the powerful machine that is marketing.
I'm boycotting Whole Foods since my last stroll through the store where I felt the strings tugging me, a puppet in an entity that mastered marketing to deception. My natural inclination to distrust any nationwide, most especially worldwide, corporations gives me a bias, but Whole Foods clearly holds costs over product. The thing is, there are "natural" grocers in any city that are small-scale and much more reliable than Whole Foods. Sure they are not excellent marketers, with chalkboards propped up everywhere, but the costs are comparable, so do small-business a solid and shop at the local health stores rather than the giant corp that will eventually figure out how to package expired dog food and sell it as human Super Food.

This morning, I had Whole Foods on my mind. Last night, I had The Big Short on my mind. I'm reading The Smartest Kids In The World, which is currently on my mind. The book depicts how the US has successfully segregated schools again, and leaves minorities with far less resources than affluent white-kid schools.
There are some variables the writer has not yet discussed that I think would be interesting to examine in her PISA data. Firstly, Divorce rate, an indication if the student is from a single parent household. Secondly, how many siblings does the student have. From her three subjects she follows, it seems they are from single child households, and perhaps the countries she is visiting where the kids perform highest worldwide, families tend to have one, at most two children. And thirdly, dietary, how much fish oil is found in the diets. Omega-3's, most especially fish oils, lead to brain development, so are the countries examined having a more fish based diet than in poorer performing countries.

I thought of another parapsychology study to conduct; Do people have "good days" collectively. Yesterday I read my horoscope, and it was "the luckiest day of the month." Damn straight, I went out and bought my power ball ticket, but I also felt comforted since I had an interview for the job I WANT. Yes, it exists. My horoscope said, "go for something big." And, before I even knew my horoscope predictions, I was. I felt very pleased to know I have cosmic powers working in my favor, and realizing that yesterday was the luckiest day of the month, and that some lucky woman or man won 1.5 billion bucks, I thought maybe good days come in waves for people as a whole. Would it be possible when administering a simple survey, such as how would you rate your day from sad face to smiling face, there be a trend in the data, meaning do people tend to have good days together, and bad days together?

I'll think more about parapsychology studies, do more yoga, and stay off the phone with my mom until tomorrow night, when I'm expecting a big decision.

Going to stay cool

No comments:

Post a Comment