Sunday, January 24, 2016

Email Blast By Day

Head In The Clouds
Last night I had a sex dream with Marc Maron, randomly. I am not sure how he elbowed his way into my psyche, but I'll take it! Today has been a crazy day on the email front. I'm being blasted by a tutoring company I signed up with a couple months ago, thinking I'd make extra money. I hardly find work through it though because there's something wrong with each email request.
A common request is from the middle-aged man, back in school, needing to take a dreaded statistics course. These requests involve meeting at their house. An automatic deny, since they are obviously a killer rapist.
I frequently get requests to online tutor students who are in the senior year at an Ivy League school, and managed to put off math till the end. Their bio is a laundry list of accolades, and after eye rolling ten thousand times while reading it, I say, "You're so damn smart, I think you can figure out common core math," and then click deny.
The other common tutoring request is from a parent whose middle school or high school kid is struggling in math. The parent is on top of their kid's life. The kid usually has a very rigid schedule that doesn't fit with mine. They have after school clubs, spots and music lessons. The red flag with these candidates is often the parents complaining how previous tutors weren't dedicated enough to the students' curriculum. The parents are looking to pay someone to do their kid's homework, and unfortunately our schedules don't overlap. Nah, I'd feel too uncomfortable getting into a situation like that, like a wet nurse for a teenager.
It's the end of the day, so I'm going to watch Netflix and eat Jell-O. Or maybe, I'll watch some Maron. And now that I have a consistent thing, I'll figure out how to cancel my tutoring profile.


1 comment: