Saturday, August 15, 2015

His Legs Don't Get Tired

My model baby looks good even when sick. Not kiddin, batch.

The flu hit, and it was awful.
My sister, kids, and I were out to dinner and my daughter was acting unusual from the moment we left. As I buckled her into her car seat she complained, "My head hurts," but she looked fine, so I figured she was hungry.
When we walked into the restaurant, a new gastro pub in Carson City (like the world needs another fucking gastro pub, but then I'm first in  line to try) she said, "It smells so bad." I thought she was right because the smell was so pungent of smoke flavor it was like being in a barrel of Rauchbier.
At the table she put her blanket over her head, and sat in her personal tent for a while, moving her head from the back of the chair to the table. After five minutes I told my sister, "She is sick, and is about to ralph all over this place. Will you take her to the bathroom?"
My sister picked her up, and they walked toward the front door. The napkin in my sister's lap fell on the floor a couple steps from the table, and she bent down to pick it up before making for the exit.
Kiki puked a few feet from the front door, but luckily it all went down my sisters dress. I saw tiny splattering when I went out to check on them after my sister banged on the glass windows pointing down to Kiki's sick face.
The food was packaged up, and we headed home. As I drove to my parents' house, I started to feel a little queasy, but couldn't distinguish if it was flu or repulsion from smelling vomit. When I carried Kiki inside, my sister was standing naked in the laundry room, and she said, "There is barf in my boob crease."
I gagged, but still couldn't distinguish the root of my desire to puke.
Laying with Kiki, it hit me. The entire scene lasted for about six hours. Both of us taking turns having to run to the bathroom.  I couldn't sleep because when I was enjoying the short reprieve after just having a bout of flu, I was getting Kiki to the bathroom or cleaning up whatever didn't make it to the bathroom. Around midnight I knew I was in the clear, and I looked over at Kiki and could see she was on the mend as well.
Since we were up, I asked if she wanted to go out and see the meteor shower. Of course, she was up for it, and she wanted to find Pluto and a blood moon as well, since she is up on her NASA twitter alerts. We walked outside and saw the stars, but not a single shooting one.
I filled her head with amazing stories of showering stars, which probably left her feeling underwhelmed, but being outside during the dark is exciting for her, so she didn't seem to mind.

During the day we went to the Children's museum, which is a strange name for a place that should probably be called an indoor playground. I surfed the web on my phone while the kids ran around. I read a funny joke on Instagram, and sent it to everyoneIi know.
I'd crawl back into bed with Kiki after having a bout of flu, I'd lay with my arm over my head feeling the relief from just passing a hurdle in my journey to normalcy, and think of this hilarious joke, laughing out loud.  My sister came in the room to check on us, and she thought I'd gone nuts, watching me laugh to myself, sweaty and clammy.

Thank goodness the flu only lasted one day. Today we had to work nonstop to prepare for a big party tomorrow night at my parents' house. After this soiree I am ready to go back to my house, and retire from all social gatherings until "the holidays." Everyone in my family had the flu except for my parents, which I assume is because they happily eat expired food and have somehow achieved a bacteria status in their gut that is supreme.

The timing worked out well. My sister had the flu the day before her final 10 page paper was due for her master's program. She learned a serious lesson in procrastination, I think. She pounded the paper out the day it was due, and found out a couple days later she received an A on the paper, and an overall A in the class.

As she sat on the couch with her laptop, she laughed, and said, "I wrote that paper in a day. I wonder what those suckers who spent three weeks on their papers think about that!"

Will I stop laughing? When I get a life! Soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment