Friday, August 21, 2015

Halloween Costumes

Shark costume comes in Pretty Woman hooker dress or frumpy pajama suit

I have an urge to make my kids' halloween costumes this year. Homemade costumes are much cuter than off-the-rack outfits. It's likely because they cost four times as much and take months to complete. The off-the-rack costumes are dirt cheap and temptingly accessible, but they lack creativity and look so common in the wave of children adorned as super heroes and princesses begging for candy.
When I was a kid, the opposite was true; store bought costumes were out of reach expensive, and homemade was much more standard operating procedure. I wore the same dance recital costume for three years in a row, and then was a ghost, a la Charlie Brown fashions, until I was able to construct marvelous costumes using fake blood and Salvation Army prom dresses. Then, the goal became dressing slutty enough to be able to drink recklessly and still keep all parts in tact. Now, Halloween is walking my kids around the block where they get a decent amount of candy that I have to throw away two days later because it turns into too much of a battle to keep their minds distracted from their score (I eat all the good candy before tossing it, mostly Milky Ways.)

We're going to do an underwater theme based on Kiki's wanting to be a starfish. I will be a shark and George can be an octopus or whale. I have been wasting a fuck ton of time on Pinterest looking at different costumes, and gauging what is doable for me, a crafting novice.
Since I am going to designate a lot of time and energy toward my kids' costumes, mine will be an easy construct. I thought I'd buy mine, and did some searches on Amazon, but found the women's shark costumes come in two options, slutty shark, or fat lazy pajama shark.

Im staying up late doing lots of pinterest research. Once I have to put needle to thread I will post a progress report. Two months till Halloween. If everything goes bad, I will just buy us each the pre made costume on amazon. It might be weird to see a 4 year old dressed as a slutty starfish, and a two year old as a slutty whale, but you gotta do what you gotta do to gets those Milky Ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment