Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Goiter or Pimple


After I got a pimple on my neck that looked more like a goiter, my primary physician gave me a referral to see a dermatologist. It took 3 months for them to see me, and by the time the appointment came around my pimple deflated.
The doctor gave me a couple medications but first she had to ask me two questions, which I needed to answer yes to both in order for my insurance to cover my prescription creams. First, she asked, "Does your adult acne make you feel depressed?" and secondly she asked, "Is your acne giving you anxiety?"
I said, "Yes and yes," then I got my prescription and came home to start the new regimen.
One of the creams is an antibiotic I apply to my face in the morning, and the other is Tretinoin that I apply every third night.
Tretinoin has turned out to give me more anxiety than my acne because it has harsh side effects. For example, if I were to become pregnant on this medication, I'd have to abort plan because the baby would definitely have birth defects.
After my skin clears up, I will stop using the Tretinoin because I don't want long term effects on my child productivity. I could have another one, one day, and I don't want to spend ten months worried sick the baby is growing an arm out of its forehead.
My daughter glues herself to me during our sleeping hours, and this had me stressed too because she is likely getting at least trace amount from laying her head on our shared pillow.
Also, the sun and this medication don't mix. My lifestyle is 50% in the sun. I wear sun block on my face so I don't prune up too early, but after a run last summer where I put on face sunscreen and it ran into my eyes from sweating, my eyes began to burn so bad I thought I was going blind.
I came home, and saw my eyes, blazing red, and decided a hat would suffice for runs. With the medicine though, I have to put sunscreen on. My hat is a woman's baseball cap, and fits on me more like a yamaka with a bill because my head is the size of a Costco watermelon. The hat barely stays on my head, resting an inch over my ears. A strong gust of wind sends it sailing through the air.
I am not getting good enough sun protection with this hat to prevent my medication from damaging my skin, so I decided to use the kids sunblock on my face during runs. Surely kids sunblock isn't going to burn my eyes out. There are probably heaps of dead bunnies to attest to the tear free formula.
The kid sun block is 50 spf, and cakes on like clay. I'm probably negating all progress of my acne medication with the pore clogging sunscreen I need to use to prevent sun damage that occurs from the acne medication. It's quite a quandary.


Deflated goiter, hickey or zit??


No comments:

Post a Comment