Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hello Kitty Giving Us the Ol' In-N-Out

Hello Kitty will be the last one standing
After I picked Kingsley up from school today, I took the kids to lunch at a chicken fast food place with a play area. The kids immediately ran off to play, and I ordered our food. The place was swarming with kids because it is a mom hot spot during the day. We all sit at our own tables, playing on our phones, and our kids reenact Lord of The Flies in the play room.
The table next to me was a mom and her two little girls. The eldest was wearing a Hello Kitty shirt that said, "Save The Planet."
I thought the shirt must be ironic, because Hello Kitty is a prime example of excess and wasteful consumerism; she's a planet destroyer. Basically, anything Hello kitty is garbage. My daughter has gobs of that shit, and it is all going to be en route to Garbage Island as soon as she moves on from it. I don't buy her it anymore because she has so much. People give it to her all the time. It's cheap, and everywhere, so there is no hesitation to spend the couple dollars on such a cute little widget.
When I was a kid Hello Kitty was quite expensive, one's trove of Hello Kitty was an elementary school status symbol. I had none, and would eyeball other people's with admiration. My older sister, a natural cool kid, had a pencil eraser. I remember coveting it when she was not around to stand guard over it. Now though, Hello Kitty is a shameless whore whose face is on everything from tassels for your tatas to TV dinners.
Hello Kitty will be the most prominent artifact from our time. In a thousand years when our civilization is being dug up, the quickest conclusion people will come to is that our god was a cute cat who had no mouth. They might find her so adorable, she gets reinstated as a must have product. Then everyone goes crazy wanting more and more Hello Kitty, until they end up burying themselves in all her garbage and byproducts.
That is, if the face of Hello Kitty isn't on the bible by then.

Sadly, I admit that I take them to that fast food chain where there was a big flare up in the news three years back because the CEO said their restaurants do not support gay marriage. I was quite a passionate Facebook activist about it back then, but after I brought my daughter to one for a mom's club meeting, I see why it is the perfect place to bring kids.
First of all, the play area is pristine. I would eat off the floor in one of them, they glisten. I imagine each night a crew of ten people go in and begin disinfecting and scrubbing with the same care reserved for prepping an operating room.
Secondly, the food is really good. I can't eat any of the shit that is served at major fast food restaurants, and I certainly can't feed it to my kids. It is basically dog food with a slice of trans fat on top of it, sandwiched in a bun that has a lot of the same ingredients as cardboard.
I was able to justify being a patsy ass traitor to my Facebook activism, by acknowledging there is a much more prominent food chain in California, a burger chain, rooted in the same religious tenants as the chicken chain, that was likely bulldozing mountains of cash to fund Proposition 8. However, because the president of this company didn't put a megaphone to his ass lips and let the world know his point of view on gay marriage, everyone gladly consumes it, with pride, I might add.

Yeah, I'm talking about you.



No comments:

Post a Comment