Monday, June 8, 2015

Always On the Lookout For the Supernatural


I have not had a paranormal incident in my life. I feel like I possibly could, and this leads me to have heart racing, scare the shit out of myself, late nights, when I am alone. The closest I had to a paranormal event happened in high school when I was in the hospital. I have no recollection of this, but my sister told me I woke up from being unconscious, and told her, "Tell Bruce not to worry about his dad, he is going to be fine," and then I went back to sleep.
The freaky part of the story is that I had no idea my friend Bruce's dad was in the hospital, on death's doorstep because of an infection he got on a fishing trip in Mexico. I passed on this information to my sister, who then passed it on to our friend, and low and behold, our friend's dad recovered from his near death experience.
My Mom and brother both experienced an occurrence when a person close to them died. A loud banging on the front door interrupts them from sleep or late night television. After getting up to see who is at the door, they find no one there. Then, moments later, they get a phone call, informing them of a friend or relative's death. This happened to my brother once, and to my mom three times!
Last year I was awoken by the ringing home phone. I stumbled from my bed to the living room searching for the phone. By the time I found it, I missed the call, and the phone stopped ringing. I checked the caller ID, but there was no record of the call in the log. The next day I sat on the edge of my seat anticipating a phone call telling me someone I knew died. As the day came to a close I didn't get the call. I had the strangest feeling of sadness that I didn't get a phone call informing me of terribly bad news because it meant my experience the night before was a meaningless fluke.
I am always on the lookout though. I suspect there could be supernatural activity occurring with the light fixture over my kitchen sink. I have no idea how to turn it on, and assumed it was a forgotten fix by the house flippers who I bought the home from. I have tried every combination of the light switches around the kitchen, but can't ever turn it on. However, there are times in the evening, when I am working at the kitchen table, and the light is on.
It's easy to believe there are supernatural message lurking in nature. Aristotle said, "In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." Today when I sat in the backyard and the kids played, there was a little bird on the telephone wires high above the fence. The bird sat there for a while, and my daughter kept asking me what kind of bird it is. I had not seen a bird like it before, but I thought of my grandfather. It would be so nice if he orchestrated this bird. While I was washing the dishes the bird was jumping on the stone path up to the front of my house.
I always notice bird shadows over my head when I am jogging. One time I watched a bird shadow follow me down a street for over a half mile. It would fly by me, wait on the telephone wire, then I'd pass it, and it would pass me, and perch itself on the wire till I passed it again. I easily thought there was meaning to this moment. I just couldn't figure out what the meaning could be.
I might not be able to handle blatant in-my-face supernatural occurrences. I don't think I would live through the moment if I woke up to see my grandfather's ghost at the foot of my bed. I would have a heart attack. Also, I don't know what he could tell me because anything I would ask him is probably stuff he needs to keep his lips sealed about.
I remember when I was seven years old, I watched an episode of Unsolved Mysteries about people who were pronounced dead and revived back to life. The terrifying aspect of the show was that the people were retelling how they died and went to hell. Coming back to life was a second chance, and they vouched to live better lives. I did not sleep for a fucking week. I remember cold sweat collecting on my skin as I laid stiff under my comforter, frightened to paralysis that I could die in my sleep, and go to hell.
It is nice to think I might get messages from the great beyond, but I doubt I am equipped with the steady nerves necessary to handle it. That's likely why I get birds and lights, while my mom and brother get premonition knocks on the front door. Maybe the spirits know that I don't answer my door anyways, and I sure as fuck wouldn't answer my door if someone knocked at it in the night. I'd find my phone and call 9-1-1, then hide under my bed. Not a warm welcome for a ghost trying to give me a message.


No comments:

Post a Comment