Sunday, May 31, 2015

Not Happening


Today when I came home from Costco my neighbor was outside cleaning his boat. He is an old guy, and when he is not going to Shriner's Club meetings, or tooling around his garage he is probably drinking beer in his arm chair in the house.
When I moved in over two years ago his wife's health started deteriorating. She is bed ridden now, and the last time I saw her she looked like she would fall over dead right there.
He is a nice guy, and the kids are amused by him. He likes listening to them say the same thing over and over for ten minutes. It never goes beyond the uncomplicated adult-admiring-a-child interaction, but this time he asked Kingsley if she wanted to go inside and say hi to his wife.
She put her hand out for me to come with her, but the baby was taking a nap, so I said, "No, we have to stay here, in case George wakes up."
But the neighbor kept asking her, as if he would take her by himself. My heart started to speed up because I was definitely not going to allow this to happen, and it would be awkward when I tell him, "I'm sorry, but my three year old is not going to go into your house with you."
Luckily Kiki did not want to go without me. I don't think he is some nasty pedophile, but you can't ever be too sure. It's one of those guilty until proven innocent situations.
I went onto Megan's Law that evening to check out my neighborhood. He is not a registered sex offender, but there is an awful lot around here, 20 within a 2 mile radius, a terrible thought before going to sleep. 
This neighbor is now on my avoid list. If the next time we see him he has a bag of candy for the kids and tells them there is more inside, I'm going to pepper spray his ass. Can't be too careful especially in my neighborhood which should probably be scrubbed clean by one of those religious warriors who goes on a rampage.

No comments:

Post a Comment