Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Nail Problems


It's recently grabbed headlines that nail ladies are being exploited by their store owners.
I never really got into mani/pedi lady time because I like to spend money on things I can't do myself. I can paint my own nails, in the comfort of my home where pants are optional. Also, I am not big on putting my feet in a warm bath filled with foot flakes, toe nails and athletes foot germs from other people.
In LA I fell into doing it because it's a thing women can do on a lady date that doesn't involve boozing or hiking. 
The last time I went the lady came up to me, put her hand on my shoulder, and asked if I wanted a neck and shoulder rub for additional five dollars. Her fuck me eyes in combination with touching me above the knee, made me want to scream, "how dare you?!"
I just gave her side eye, and whispered no thank you.
I felt bad for her because she had to act like she wanted to fuck me while trying to upsell me on a five dollar shoulder rub.
Usually the nail ladies made me feel like an unkept woman. I'd never shave my legs because of a 60 Minutes episode on the potentially deadly bacteria lurking in the tools and baths at nail salons. I'm surprised it didn't make the entire manicure pedicure industry go bust. Their best advice was to never shave before getting a pedicure.
I never did, but then spent most of this pampered relaxing time stressing out about my leg hair, and assume each fast comment in their native tongue followed up by a collective giggling, she was shit talking on me.
I could have Tae Bo'd her ass across the room, as she is probably much closer to my four year daughter's weight than mine, but I can't let things, like being laughed at by a group of women, upset me. Plus, I can't be completely sure they were making fun of me, so I read People magazine with the kind of intent it seems I give a shit about Sophia Vegara's workout routine.
I was reading the comments on Twitter following posts of articles about the nail salon work environment. Lots of people say they like to give big tips because the experience seems so exploitive. I don't see how this eases anyone's conscious since that extra tip money is going into the pocket of the guy who is skimming off their profits. 
I don't know what the solution will be. Boycotting would only put all these women out of a job, and zero dollars is worse than some dollars. I hope they get their money because picking at people's feet all day seems like the kind of job on the Dirty Jobs show. I guess I can understand the fuck me eyes; an opportunity to get to work on shoulders would be a welcome break from feet, and especially feet with hairy legs attached. 

No comments:

Post a Comment