Thursday, April 7, 2016

Togetherness


Put my finger on it
Last night I finished season two of Togetherness. Well, I didn't really finish it because episode eight is not on HBO Go. My internet research isn't turning up any information, but I'm still working on it. So I don't know if Michelle wins the mom battle for the charter school, and I don't know if she decides to stay single or regularly bump uglies with David.
Amanda Peet's character is my favorite. I'd like to see her get a spin off show. Bret Pierson is a disturbing dude. I watched a bit of behind the scenes with the Duplass brothers and they describe Bret's unique reaction to the affair as a result of being so intellectual. I would call it something else, a Dune obsession and desire to bunk up with his best friend is unusual for sure, but I'd hardly call it intellectual, more like blissfully ignorant. Bret reminds me of someone, and I just can't put my finger on it.
Anyways, the show had me thinking of charter schools, since it's the least cerebral storyline. Most of the other stories are about people grappling with inner troubles, a tad indulgent, sure, but in these modern times, lacking physical connectivity, people turn inwards to create drama.
Michelle's new friend comes in and tries to orchestrate a charter school coo, wasting Michelle's assumed hard work. I say assumed because her efforts are highlighted by shuffling papers and buying bagels. When the blonde lady with a husky voice states the school curriculum; French immersion, montessori with Singapore math, I worried my kid doesn't have the cut throat charter school advocate she needs. No offense to Michelle, but she cries a lot, and she should have just dumped her husband before stirring up the silt. So I'm leaning toward the villain being victorious in overthrowing Michelle from the charter school because it does seem like she will do a better job. 

I want my kids to attend a German immersion school, but there aren't any in Sacramento. Luckily, California still supports it's Charters, unlike New York, thats decided to close charters for highlighting public school's incompetence. I found a German immersion charter school in LA, so I put an application in the lottery on a whim, but the chances are slim since Kiki has the lowest weight, being out of LAUSD. I want the kids to learn German. This always makes people ask, "Why?" And I feel like I'm passing on a great nugget of information, "Oh, you haven't heard? University is free in Germany." What a relief it will be to send them abroad, and stuff their pockets with enough coin for beer, sausage, and rent, and not worry about the added cost of tuition, a cost on par with a small house, on a lake, with a boat.

In addition to German they need to learn Spanish. I took Spanish for seven years, and I can't write a proper sentence, but I can understand when I hear it, and if I'm drunk enough, I can speak it. (See Happy Endings.) If the German immersion school doesn't offer Spanish curriculum, then I'll make them watch El Gordo y la Flaca instead of Disney jr. They'll pick it up quick. That way they will be able to weekend in Ibiza with ease. Sending them abroad to save money might backfire.

Togetherness is a great show, and I'm sad to hear it didn't get renewed. After I watch the series finale, I'll be happy to learn if Amanda Peet's character gets knocked up with her craved baby and if Michelle gracefully bows out to the power-hungry charter school stealer. Good lord, it sounds so stupid to say. Maybe building a school is as easy as it looks on TV. I'm going to look into that, after I finish my next series, Catastrophe, which is sure to offer up more laughs and less over-the-top hipster style. I already know I will like Catastrophe more, which means I'll have a lot less to say about it.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I just found out it was cancelled also. Hope they wrap something up in the last episode. But part of me is ok with it since the characters are such train wrecks that I find it pretty depressing. That's why I love me some real housewives! The Leftovers is excellent if you aren't already watching. But it's coming to an end soon also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, they are all depressing train wrecks. After thinking about it, I think a lot of the story just magically appears too.
    RHONY started this week! Yes!!

    ReplyDelete