Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Way of the Buffalo


My friend came over this weekend, and after we went through hellos, how do you dos, and acclimating the kids to play time, she said, "I have news."
I was expecting her to say, "I'm pregnant," and prepped to say, "yay!" while doing a tiny clap, happy for the news, but knowing she'd go the way of the buffalo for a year after her bundle arrives.
"I'm moving." she said.
"What? I was expecting you to say you were pregnant." I said.
"No! Were done with that. I'm moving back to my hometown." She said.
"Wow! Thats great! Right?" I asked.
"Yes, definitely. I want to be around my parents now because they're older. The kids can grow up around their family..." She gave her reasons, that all made perfect sense to me, and I said congratulations. Although she wants to move, she is sad because she likes her Sacramento life, and giving her goodbyes will be hard.
I was jealous, to be honest. The thought of packing up the good stuff, throwing out everything else, and moving to a new place sounds refreshing. Maybe it's from moving around so much as a kid, but I don't shed tears when I move away, and I find the people I'm meant to stay in touch with are still in touch. We can go years in between catch ups, but that only means we have much more things to talk about.

I reactivated my Facebook account this week. I need it for marketing my blog (total user). After a two year hiatus I'm stepping right back into the world I left. All the babies are now toddlers, a lot of people got married, the funny people are still funny, and April 4th is a very popular birthday (still not the most common.)
I learned a good friend of mine got married and had a baby in the last two years. It was very exciting. "Some friend!" you might be thinking, since I had no idea someone who I consider close had a baby, something that takes almost an entire year to happen. Thats just what happens from moving around a lot; I go way of the buffalo, but unlike the buffalo, I come back, so I guess it's better described as the way of the pregnant lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment