Saturday, February 27, 2016

Snap Out Of It



Thursday, George and I had a really slow-paced day. Our intention was to clean the house, but I got caught up in a cyber loop that was soporific I had little strength to do much of anything but complain about how sluggish I felt.
By the afternoon, I perked up a bit. It helped that I stopped eating leftover garlic pizza and peanut butter cups. After dinner, I got dressed to go do a tutoring job, and headed out.

After making it to my student's neighborhood in record time because I sped in the carpool lane, completely absent minded to the fact that I was not driving with another passenger, I had a couple minutes to kill, so I decided to get a latte at Starbucks drive-thru.
After pulling up to the student's house, I had half the cup, and figured I'd just chug the rest so I wouldn't have to bring my cup inside the house, a cup that would be empty just a couple minutes after sitting down.
So I gulped, it was uncomfortable, but I was quickly down to just having a quarter of the drink left. At this point, I had committed to finishing the coffee before going in to the house, so as I started to sweat and my upper chest burned a bit from the hot liquid, I was not turning back, and bringing in my cup that now only contained a couple sips. I finished it with a second to spare, and quickly walked up to the house.
Her parents left to take the little brother to a basketball game. I was a little nervous the girl would morph into a new person in her parents absence. She'd pull out her smart phone and tell me she isn't listening to me and for me to quickly do her homework and get out of her house.
She didn't. She was still the shy nice person she always is, who occasionally gets a look on her face that says, "What the fuck are you talking about."
I was reading problems out loud before we'd work on them. These problems were overly wordy, so my narration was long-winded, and I'd catch her laughing to herself. I felt like I was back on radio, delivering news, but I just smiled a little and finished up the problem.
We made it through all her work, and I came home. As I changed into pajamas, and went into the bathroom to wash my face, I realized I forgot to brush my teeth that day.
I was delivering word problems with the passion of a bad stage actress, and probably had the most god awful smelling breath; latte on top of non-brushed teeth, with undertones of garlic. I couldn't help but snap out of the funk. I basically punched myself in the cheek, while shouting, get it together woman. I'm blaming my funk on eating McDonalds the day before, but it really could have been due to many other things; not sleeping enough, too much time online, a RHOBH overdose, or pizza breakfast. In the morning, I'll make a double of my breakfast shot; spinach, garlic, fish oil swirl. That will definitely energize me, but my breath will probably still be disastrous.

Brush your teeth, batch

No comments:

Post a Comment