Sunday, December 14, 2014

Not So Crafty

Today I did my first craft fair. I was nervous because I didn't have much merchandise. I had placemats with sequins sewed on saying "eat me," friendship bracelets, t-shirts with more sequins and some cute vintage clothes.
I started out optimistic, but as the day progressed it became clear no one was in the market for Eat Me placemats. 

Today was also an exceptionally cold day and I forgot a chair. Surprisingly 5 hours of standing in the freezing cold flew by. In the end I came out in the red, I made negative eight dollars after my booth fee and a hot chocolate. The market is really not my demographic, which I'd say is 8 to 11 year old girls, who seemed to be nowhere to be found. The majority of people at the fair seemed to be rich hippie types, who would call themselves bohemians, but are the upper crust of the 99%. They like to cruise the market with a soy latte in hand and buy beaded jewelry. A fringe shirt with "meow" embroidered on it will clash with their Patagonia jacket and bizarrely functional pants that were created for someone to wear while climbing Mount Everest equipped with pockets for food, toilet paper, and a compact sleeing bag.
I am going to find a more youthful fair for my next go, and if I end up in the red yet again, I will have to retire as a crafty bee. Loose money one time, shame on me. Loose money a second time shame shame shame on me. All I really wanted was to support my hair bleaching so now my "cigarette ash" hair color will grow out a little longer. Luckily the outgrown look is in style now, it's called an hombre, a cigarette ash and yellow hombre. 




No comments:

Post a Comment