Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Fish Death

Waiting to get home...

When we came home from a five night trip to Southern Califirnia I was sad to find our betta fish died. Our trip was supposed to be 2 nights shorter and it wasn't till the last night that I remembered about our fish.
I woke up at 3 am in a hotel room that was probably 100 degrees. During this trip I had been catching up with people and this involved, as it usually does, frequent meetings to drink beer and eat food. When I woke up hot and sweaty I felt glutinous, and it didn't help I was in just a bra and underwear. Having an 18 month old in the pack and play makes rummaging through the suitcase for pajamas a "high risk" activity that could disrupt hours of much needed sleep.
It was the fear that he would wake up crying from the heat, uncomfortable since his fleece pajama suit is hardly a breathable fabric, that motivated me to risk poking around the hotel to turn the thermostat down.
When I tiptoed back into bed it dawned on me, our fish Betta (creative name points) might be floating in her fishbowl. I guzzled the bottle of water next to me and after cooling down, fell back asleep.
The nice thing about being dehydrated on a road trip is that there is no need to stop frequently to pee. We made the 5 hour drive in 6.5 hours, which is very good for us. Sure enough, Betta was dead. She wasn't floating on top of the bowl though, she was laying on the rocks at the bottom.
Fish Bowl for rent: Must be nice looking red Betta costing less than $10

I flushed her down the toilet. I had to keep scooping the rocks off her because when I'd tip the bowl the rocks would cover her up. It was weird and gross. When my daughter asked where is Betta, I told her I dropped Betta off at her uncle's and he is watching her. Finally all the Investigation Discovery and Women Who Kill has paid off. I disposed of the body and thought up the perfect cover up within minutes, calm and collected under pressure.
We play a game called fishbowl where my kids and I hide under a blanket and we scream at an imaginary diver who is coming toward the bowl. If seen from outside the bowl, three heads are under a blanket shouting, "Leave us alone diver. We need personal time. Go away diver!" 
When in our fishbowl tonight, my daughter said something about fish heaven. I gave a side eye look, thinking, "you're on to me!" But she quickly moved on to some other topic. Maybe I am going to go through some Hamlet shit now, but it seems as if all the next day she has been mentioning the fish. If there is anything I have learned from years of watching Law and Order it is this, NEVER confess, thats the only way they can ever get you. 

I think the boy is on to me



No comments:

Post a Comment