Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Vacation From Friday Night Staycations


iPad relaxing the kids when out to eat dinner
Twenty years ago I would have been able to enjoy my cervecas and TV relaxation time without a laptop on my lap, absorbing any dull moment.  Now, my Friday night staycation is spent traversing through a trifecta of entertainment streams; phone, TV, and laptop.
Reality TV and beer go together like peas and carrots. I don't think I could tolerate reality TV unless I'm buzzed, however, the combination of kicking back a couple brewskis and watching a group of rowdy women alpha dogging each other, is a magically fun and calming time. The Internet gets thrown in because web surfing and TV go together like peas and carrots. Friday's fun is a regular veggie salad. 
When texting is going on, then there is hardly a minute to take a deep breath. I generally live by the rule, never answer the phone after 9 pm because there is a drunk person on the other line who will talk until they're hung up on.
My sister is a great offender of phoning while drunk. I am forced to break my rule when she calls on Friday night because she is relentless and calls over and over till I pick up. On the fifteenth call I answer the call and she says, “Why are you ignoring me?” and then goes on a talking marathon.
She likes to chat on the phone while she is having her libations, going through Pinterest and watching TV, having a very festive trifecta session. 
The problem with multitasking so many tools during drinking is that if the chill time is elevated to party for one, then the phone or Internet are excellent soap boxes, for what should have been a conversation with the pillow. When Coors gets upgraded to IPA, for example, these mediums for communicating can turn into little fucking time bombs.
For my sister, she gets on the phone with someone she doesn't know that well, having an hour long conversation, making plans and "getting deep." The next day she shrugs off the uncomfortable feeling of exposing too much of herself, and puts herself in adult time out for the next couple weeks.
Since I am not much of a phone talker, I run into trouble with emails, specifically getting sentimental and nostalgic writing lengthy, but funny, emails, oh, and tweeting every thought that pops into my head.
If it were 20 years ago, I could wake up in the morning, look at the penned out letter, and decide if I should crumple it up and throw it in the trash. After assessing that I like the letter then I'd drive it to the post office, happy that in a week the recipient will read my thoughtful letter I chose to send it in an undrunk state of mind. 
Twenty years ago, I was only 12 years old, so drinking casually on the couch while watching TV would be a poor reflection on my parents. Now that I am at a point in my life where drinking to relax is part of the game, relaxation is rather complicated, and involves multitasking a remote, computer and phone in between arm curls.

Eventually I am going to have to take a vacation from my Friday night staycations. Some where without Wi-Fi.

They're up for a vacation, as long as it involves water

No comments:

Post a Comment