Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sweet Dreams Game of Thrones

Not quite Khaleesi
I watched the first two and a half seasons of Game of Thrones and had to jump ship. I found drifting off to sleep difficult after watching an hour of rape, head bludgeoning, blood-splattering murder, dicks being chopped off, psycho Prince Geoffrey and a creepy pale lady breast-feeding a 7 year old. 
Aside from that, the story is interesting, and I will probably watch the final episode of the series to see who wins the throne. Fingers crossed, it's sexy John Snow! 
It took 2 years of feeling awful at bedtime for me to realize, I don't think this show is doing me any good. Game of Thrones is one of the biggest shows on TV at the moment, and its like a fucking volcano of violence. My mom loves the show so much, she suggested I name my daughter Khaleesi.
The lure for graphic violence is masochistic, yet it serves a very large audience, proving itself much needed.
A thought I had, is that these extremely violent shows are appealing to people who have skated through life untouched by horror and they are filling in a void for craved violence.
Do people of war torn countries curl up on their couch Sunday evenings to watch the blood bath on Game of Thrones, or do they feel like the local news is giving them enough horror?
Then, I imagined Quintin Tarintino woken up every morning by his bubbly mother, who was holding a cup of hot chocolate and singing, "Good morning, sweet Quintin-poo!" Propelling his future self to make videos of heads being chopped off, and brains exploding from a close range bullet.
I live a great life, but there are certainly some ticks on my timeline that could easily be turned into an entertaining episode of Law and Order. This could be why I don't need added terrible shit to think about. Or, it could simply be that I am a pansy ass. Those gals on Real Housewives don't make me question humanity or viewership tendencies. They aren't gun slingers, but wine slingers, and that's something that makes me sleep easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment