Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Hey Boo Boo, Where's the Potluck

Actual bear

Tomorrow Im going to a potluck. Potlucks in the middle of the week are like soooo much work. I was unlucky enough to be last name A-H, so I am appetizer category. The next slot gets to bring wine, and the final one brings dessert.
The last potluck my mom went to she brought a can of bean dip and a bag of Fritos. I was making fun of her, and she quickly shot me down by saying, "Well, they were the first thing to be eaten, thank you very much!"
I don't even know why I got so uppity on her, the last potluck I went to I showed up empty handed. It was an unexpected potluck. I hit yes on the evite, and then got an automatic reply that said, bring an appetizer or dessert. This was on Halloween night, already a clusterfuck. I planned for us to show up to the party, not eat, but trick-or-treat around the block and then go home. My kids aren't yet trick-or-treating for the long haul. One block will suffice.
So I supported my lazy decision to not bring anything to the potluck by resounding to my kids, "We aren't going to eat ANYTHING while were there!"
What's that they say about the best of plans? Right when we got in the house, both of them were overcome with dehydration and then asked for a piece of pizza from the spread. I just had to take in a breath, and say, "Fuck it, We're assholes who showed up to a potluck empty handed."

Tomorrow is my last class before finals. I'll be cart wheeling into class. I only have one class tomorrow, the class that meets every day. They're so funny, they often ask me if I'm ever going to bring in some breakfast items for them. I always tell them it's unlikely.  I usually look like a proper mess, with my hair greasy and underneath my regular clothes, I am prepped to whisk it all off, and go running, with full blown running fit underneath.
You know what they say about best of plans though. I can almost guarantee when I wear a sports bra and tank top under my work clothes, so I can just take off the button up shirt and change into sweats, I end up having a billion things to do.
This happened Tuesday, and I even put off showering because it seemed like a terrible waste of time to shower if I was going to go running a couple hours later. But when I got home at 6 after spending all day grading tests, I looked like I needed to be dropped in a vat of fragrant soapy water.

Tonight is the last of my "long days" where I have to lecture from 9-4:20pm. Im a bit of a mess by the end of the day. I will be saying the number thirty-two, but my hand writes "47." I don't get it, but everyone starts to holler, and we get the entire wrong righted.
This afternoon, my student left her purse in class. I was supposed to jet out to prepare for tomorrow's potluck, but I needed to track her down. I found out her number and called her twice, sent her an email, hoping to reach her. If I brought it to campus police, they'd close, and then she wouldn't be able to get to her purse, that most likely had her car keys. What a fucking pain in the ass that would be.
After she answered, we met up in front of the room, and she was crying. She thought she lost her purse in the bathroom. I was taken aback, and was full of good cheer, "Look at this!! Crisis averted! I'm so happy for you!" But she was still panicked and because of a language barrier, I'm not sure if I looked like some idiot smiling American.

I have this brilliant idea to bring donuts tomorrow morning for my favorite class. And I am also planning to go running after class. I can picture it now, I will look decent-enough, have my second outfit under my first, and a selection of 24 fresh donuts. It's a great plan.
Uh oh! I'll probably show up in my pajamas with 24 Egg McMuffins. At least I have my appetizer for the potluck. I picked it up on the way home tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment