Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Flossin

My right front tooth is brown. Damn you, coffee!!! (Just kiddin, I love you with all my heart)
When I was a kid my mom gave us a tutorial on flossing our teeth. My brothers, sisters and I sat on her bed as she explained dental floss and how were supposed to use it. She used my older sister as an example, and we all watched as she did the Y motion in between each tooth.
Moments after doing one Y, the gums started to bleed, and then this happened at the next Y, and the next. We all started to panic, and worry about my sister, who was bleeding at the mouth after doing this dentist recommended treatment. I blame our collective horror, five kids crying in fear, splayed across a king size bed, for not being a diligent flosser.
My dental insurance kicks in on December 1, and I am finally going to see to the dentist after four years of neglecting to go for a checkup and cleaning. Since I am going to see the dentist next month, for the first time in nearly a half decade, I'm starting to floss, only because I don't like the shame that comes along with a dental hygienist cleaning my teeth, lecturing me on flossing, her face twisted in grotesque disappointment.
Last night I flossed, and my gums bled. I know from quitting and restarting flossing regimens throughout my adult life, that the bleeding lessens with each flossing, eventually stoping.
I'm looking forward to after my dentist appointment, so I can give my gums a break.

Not bad for day two

No comments:

Post a Comment