Sunday, January 18, 2015

Rise and Shine


I was up most the night last night, laying next to my daughter who has a cold. She rarely gets sick, but when she does it is like I'm dealing with a terminally ill patient. She wakes up frequently and the discomfort from congestion leads her to scream at the top of her lungs then roll over and fall back to sleep. So every hour or so last night I violently awoke to my daughter yelling. The jarring and sporadic bursts of short sleep made me especially irritable this morning. 
At 7, Kiki's usual wake up time, she was surprisingly spry and jumped out of bed and began playing with her toys. I laid there paralyzed from exhaustion and she started to decorate me like she would a Christmas tree. Placing the crown on my head she said, "Princess mommy is trapped in the tallest tower." Too groggy to talk, I thought, "I wish!" 
After 10 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to enact some untapped magic within so I could make myself disappear I relinquished to the present forces and engaged in the make believe game of trapped princess. I asked my daughter to make me imaginary coffee and cook me an imaginary breakfast burrito. She happily toiled away at her little kitchen. After a strong cup of fake coffee I was ready to get up and make a pot of real coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment