Thursday, November 23, 2017

Hamilton Mornings and Nights


It all started when we put on Regina Spektor Apple Music top ten. When the playlist got to number 1, it was an unfamiliar song, and might actually be the saddest breakup song. I looked in the backseat and even saw my daughter crying, her emotional depth is infinite, so she is easily set off, but being brought to tears by a song is new for her.

The next song, Dear Theodosia, became our family favorite. Little G and I would sing it in bed together when we woke up. The song is just over two minutes, and I said to him, "I wish this song was like 10 minutes, it's so short."
He said, "I wish it was a trillion minutes!"

This introduced us to Hamilton, because the song is from The Hamilton Mixtape, where well known artists sing the soundtrack. My heart melting reaction to Spektor singing Dear Theodosia, extended beyond what I anticipated, and I happily stumbled into the most wonderful album. When Kiki heard The Schuyler Sisters, she was hooked, and Helpless cemented her commitment. G is still big on Dear Theodosia, and lucky for us, its twice as long in the play. G added hand movements, where he sweeps his arms up and away when they say, "You'll blow us all away."

I think I have the first part of the play somewhat figured out. In Dear Theodosia Burr sings to his daughter, then Hamilton sings to his son. It took me a little while to figure this all out. "Theodosia is his daughter!! He had her with the British officer's wife, we heard about her in Wait For It."
"Where's she?" Kiki asked.
"Thats a good question. We really need to start listening to the second disc."
I think Big Theodosia might be dead... I don't want to explain to them the maternal death rate of the late 1700's, but she isn't mentioned anymore. I hope not, it seems like Burr really loves her.

I did need to explain to them that Hamilton and Burr were orphans, because they both harmonize, "My father wasn't around." Orhpanhood is not completely foreign to them, we watched Annie, but at night we had long conversations about this.
Little G seemed very concerned that one becomes an orphan if they are left at the store, and the parents don't come back for them. I explained to them, in modern times, it would be very hard for this to happen, but it's a good reason to always be right next to your adult when you go in any public space.

Selfishly, I called dibs on Eliza. Kiki said she'd be Angelica and G gets to be Peggy and Alexander Hamilton. And we each get to sing our name at the beginning of The Schuyler Sisters. Kiki really is more Eliza, and I'm more Angelica, It's becoming more and more obvious to me that, I'll never be satisfied. (listen to Satisfied -- it's so good!)

I booked a ticket to NYC for my Christmas present to myself. I went to purchase a ticket for Hamilton, and after selecting the cheapest seat in the place, I learned it has to be bought as a pair. Blasted!! So I'll Wait For It.  I should start listening to the second album anyways. I'll go back over the summer, with my kids, so they can spend some time in the greatest city in the world, with their cousins.

Before bed last week, we'd group hug and sing the first line of That Would Be Enough, "Look around. Look around, at how lucky we are to be alive right now." Then I'd try not to cry.  My daughter gets her wide sweeping emotional range from her mommy dearest. We really are so lucky.

**dabs her eye**

No comments:

Post a Comment