Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Gospel of RHOBH filling in for Mom

The company I keep. Sometimes, the inmates run the asylum.
I am going through an introspective time. My mom left for Vietnam and I am living life how it was intended; not being on my cell phone during every moment of down time. I always call my mom when I get in the car, and we carry on a conversation we started three years ago. Its mostly a back and forth of narrating our activities for the day. I can tell when my mom is surfing the web, because her response is always, “Soooo… What are you up to?” Sometimes we will just sit on the phone in silence, until someone gets to a point of boredom where they just hang up the line.
I always call my mom when I am driving around. Any trip literally paves the way for a 5 minute chat; picking up daughter, quick trip to the store, or heading to the park. Listening to my mom tell me about the clothes she bought on the websites she religiously reads, or how she thinks my brothers and sisters should be living their lives, or any news on a relative makes me so happy. Maybe it is because she is the most adult conversation I have throughout the week.
With my mom in Vietnam, I am confronted with silence, and it’s a welcoming loneliness because I am having some self realizations. (Queue the BAM!) Aside from realizing I should allow myself time to think instead of jumping on the phone whenever I have a dull moment, I realized I need to take an extended break from alcohol before I fuck my life up.
I have been having too many, “Alicia, Party for 1!”’s lately. There is a big difference between having “Party for 1” every couple months, to having “Party for 1” once a week. And because I am falling into the latter category I have to take a sabbatical. I probably am taking my party times so serious because I am in the company of youngsters all the time, although that seems like the worst reason ever.
I watch The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills because I really do have panache for guilty pleasures. Although, I do love the show, I am terribly embarrassed when I watch it, and can only do it alone. If someone comes in while I am watching, I have to pause immediately or turn it off, because I don’t want anyone to see me giggling in delight at a bunch of women acting like mean girls.
Last night’s episode took the drama to a new level, and confirmed any doubts about the show being completely staged. The addition of two soap opera actresses brought on the first head scratch, but the lunacy of wine glass throwing and going after someone’s throat, made me side eye, “Do fancy ass Ladies really behave this way?”
The most normal one of the bunch is Yolanda. She is practically perfect. I think she is the main reason I watch the show because she is like Oprah; full of motivating and positive enlightenment.
Yolanda seems to stay above the fray, and dispenses the best advice. She told Brandi Glanville to do a cleanse to help her cool her jets. Yolanda said she understands how Brandi likes to get crazy, but that having 2 young kids and with her career taking off, now is not the time to be getting crazy.
I was sitting on my couch, and looking at the TV thinking, “Yolanda, you are talking to me.” So I did a cleanse, and really did feel good afterwards. After going on a mission around Sacramento to get a glass of the coveted Pliney The Younger, I can say I have pretty much filled any unfulfilled need, and a long break would be welcome.

Beer snob.
Hopefully, when my mom returns from Vietnam, and I tell her my newfound realization, she isn’t surfing the web. I’d hate to go through the explanation twice because she is looking at shoes online. If I do, and the chances are pretty good I will have to, then I will simply preface it with, “Mom, Yolanda, my mom while you were away, taught me a thing or two.”

Day drinking does allow great opportunities to tan. NO! Go power walking instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment