Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Straight Outta... Say What?

Baby be packing heat. Squirt gun heat.
I streamed N.W.A. to get reacquainted with the familiar tunes from high school before watching the new movie, Straight Outta Compton. I started out with easy-E, and then came to the old time favorite, Ain't No Fun. As DJ Eeeeasy Dick starts talking I was transported back in time. I'm sitting in the back seat of an SUV with friends, smoking weed, the music blasting. The bass is uncomfortably loud, but I'm too stoned to talk and the never ending conversation in my head distracts me.
If I were to engage in an activity like this now, I'd make it ten seconds before I simultaneously pee my pants and have a heart attack. I'd say it was the reckless behavior of suburbia white kids, but Tahoe doesn't have suburbs and we were an equal ratio Mexican to white. Paranoia that a cop comes to send me to the clink wouldn't be my only worry, I'd worry more that I'd never become unstoned.
Smoking weed turned into one of those nightmarish things for me, where I became super paranoid and being around people was excruciating. I once confided in this with a pot aficionado, and his advice was to start smoking more, to get over the paranoia hump. I figured the effort wasn't worth the reward.
Maybe the paranoia, loud bass and internal conversation muted the fucked up lyrics in Ain't No Fun because I didn't remember it being a woman hating anthem. After hearing the song through, I listened to it once again because I like degrading myself, and heard Kurupt repeat bitches aren't shit, don't give a shit about a ho, and other gems involving ball sucking and dick slapping.
I was probably impressed by the brazen terminology to ever analyze the overall meaning of the song, but adult Alicia, finds it appalling. I am OK with the word "bitch" because like Madonna says, "I'm tough, ambitious and know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay." Bitch, actually is something to strive towards, being unafraid of getting exactly what's wanted. But in the context of Ain't No Fun, bitch is meant to mean "hole," "vagina" or "person I can put my dick into." In the end, all the woman hating in Ain't No Fun made me think more of Freud than Feminism.

History gets rewritten, as shown by Straight Outta Compton cutting the scene where Dr. Dre beats up a female reporter because she didn't give him a good review. Now Dr. Dre is richer than shit, and he could give two fucks who the hell he stomped on to perch upon his throne, but because he is affiliated with Apple, and Apple money is so sweet, Dre issued an apology for being a sociopath in the past, and since he has been married for almost 20 years, he isn't like that anymore.
There is a sequel to Straight Outta Compton in the works, featuring the next wave of West Coast rappers, including Snoop Dogg and Kurupt. We'll see how they spin Ain't No Fun. I'd love to see a closeted romance be the source of hate. I can give a pass on the overlooked violence, as long as we get a great gay sex scene, with lots of dick slapping and ball sucking.



No comments:

Post a Comment