Thursday, August 20, 2015

So Hot Right Now


Little acts of kindness
When I left Target yesterday I found a message behind the windshield wiper. It was a business card, and scribbled in black marker was the note, "you're hot." It made me so damn happy I felt bad. I shouldn't get happiness from another person's opinion on how I look, but then again, why even get dressed in the morning if there isn't an ongoing need to be living up to expectations.
When I was walking into the store a young guy walked by me, and smiled so flirtatiously I nearly blushed, however, the kids quickly recaptured any attention I diverted, and restored my static disposition. His MILF grin left me fairly certain he was the person who left the note.

My friend came by this morning. She has three kids under three years old, which is like watching a tornado, although she does a good job of making it seem like her sanity is in tact. The kids played in the backyard as we sat in the shade talking about our summer and anticipation for the calmness that comes with fall.

She took her daughter potty, and when they returned her daughter looked clammy and sweaty as she laid on the cement crying that she needed a nap. My friend said she worried her daughter was coming down with the flu, and started gathering up their things to leave. My mind panicked, "She has the flu! We just got over the flu! Were going to get the flu again!"

Since we've been gone most of the summer the yard looked like it had been abandoned for years. The 105 degree heat destroys anything left exposed to sunlight. I spent the day before cleaning it up. Plastic squirt guns, sand buckets and bubble bottles crumbled after being picked up. The fear of toxins in melted plastic wasn't the worst part. The worst part was the spiders.

Spider webs covered everything, and I smeared them up like I was making cotton candy. Black widows lurk in dark crevices and, I assume, could crawl out from underneath the slide or a trike wheel and bite an oblivious kid. I went at the spiders with Lysol spray and a Birkenstock and in the end I killed 4 and an egg sack. I felt guilty after my murderous rampage, spraying and stomping spiders, but it is either them or us since I'm under the impression they are impartial to who or when they attack. 

After my friend and her kids left, I headed back outside with the Lysol, this time to disinfect everything they touched. As I scrubbed down the table, and wiped off toys, I felt sweaty and bloated from drinking a pot of coffee and eating pistachios all morning. The feelings were similar to how I felt as the flu came over me last week. I was letting heartburn and overheating turn into phantom flu symptoms. Since the flu can't set in minutes after being exposed to it, I let go of my flu feelings a bit after cooling off inside. I put my Lysol in a close (up high) place because I plan on being ready to bring the heat if I see a black widow by my kids. Thats hot. So hot.


Spiders? This kids is more of a danger to himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment