Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Accomplice



Goofball Island
My brother came to visit last weekend, and saw first hand how life is around my house. While we were watching a movie on Saturday, my daughter ordered, "Mother, come with me to the bathroom, and keep me company while I go poop."
After reminding her to say, "Please," I couldn't refuse. She bosses me around like I'm her indentured servant, and here's the kicker, I don't really mind. Modern parenting books recommend to refrain from calling your daughter "bossy," because it fucks with their capabilities to effectively lead when they grow up. After being told they're bossy, girls become sensitive about telling people what to do, and worry "if people like them." Instead it's better to praise her for having "exceptional leadership skills," and let her give out orders.

After potty business, we resumed watching the movie. Watching my daughter watch a movie is utterly amazing. The more she has seen something, the better she reacts. She knows all the exciting parts, and gears up for them; shouting, laughing, running down the hall, screaming, then coming back to the couch, and watching the show from under a pillow. When she is transfixed by the TV, there is not much that can pull her away without major dramatics, waterfall tears and cries of injustice. When it's time to turn the TV off, I "preview" the future events, which means I let her know what to expect, so her head doesn't explode when I say, "TV off." So I say, "In a couple minutes were turning off the TV," and then, in a couple minutes, turn off the TV.  Even after previewing, she reacts poorly, but it is an improvement from an abrupt ending.
My brother saw her reaction to turning off the TV. She hollered, "NOOOOOOO!"and cried as she explained how much she needs to continue watching.  I'm used to this, so I know after a few minutes she finds something else to do, like play dolls, Play Doh, paint or pretend she lives in a bird's nest. My brother raised his eyebrows in a judgmental way, and looked on the scene like she was Veruca Salt, and needed a spanking. And then, I looked at my brother, and raised my eyebrows, thinking, "I'm judging you, bro, for being judgmental."

Sunday morning we went to the mall. In the food court George started running away screaming, "Carousel!" and Kiki was pleading, "We need to go to the play area." My husband took them to play, as my brother and I finished our food.
"You'll see, Matt. All kids act like turds. Thats how they are." I said as I dipped a French fry in ranch.
"You should try saying, 'No,' once in a while." He jokingly said back. A truth, shrouded in sarcasm and a chuckle.
Maybe he's right. I'm not great at discipline because watching the kids cry makes me sad. I cave easily, but I stand my ground when I need to. It's not like I'd let them play with the kitchen knives, or stir boiling pasta.
I told my brother, "I don't think spoiling is that bad. It gives your kid high-self esteem and healthy entitlement issues."
He said, "Don't you think that will make it hard for them to have friends?"
"I don't see how the two are related. I had plenty of friends who were spoiled by their parents. They were a pain in the ass sometimes, but it likely serves them well. Less likely to be swallowed up by the flock."

Later that night, after my brother left, we were in the living room. George was standing on the coffee table throwing a DVD like a frisbee, in front of my husband, who earlier praised George for being dexterous, after opening a DVD box, turing on the DVD player, and loading the disc.
My husband said, "I don't think you discipline the kids when I'm not here," 
After the unnecessary criticism, I shot him some side eye, and said,"Look at your son. Discipline him!"
My husband took the DVD from George, and then pulled him off the table. I actually think my husband is happy the kids are spoiled because it is such a contrast from his own childhood. I'm textbook Middle Child Syndrome, so it's obvious why I cuddle with my kids all day long, constantly reminding them, "You are the sun and the moon."

I was on Amazon looking up Christmas presents. I showed my husband the Minnie Mouse Shopping Mall Kiki told Santa she wants for Christmas. "Look at the Minnie Mall. It's $45 and has mixed reviews, while the Minnie Boutique is only $25 and has good reviews. Should we get her the cheaper one with better reviews?"
Then my husband looked at me and said, "As someone who never got what he asked for for Christmas, I think we should get her what she wants."
I laughed at him, my accomplice, and then agreed to get her the Minnie Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment