Monday, March 9, 2015

Red Heads: Ducks and Otherwise


The Simpsons eat your heart out: we moved table in front of TV
Kiki’s favorite movie is DUCKumentary, a PBS documentary on ducks. She likes watching all the ducks and the scenic shots, and I like learning obscure duck information. On walks around Tahoe I spread the knowledge by sharing DUCKumetary facts, but this can be off-putting to my brutish family, who then collectively shame me for being a show off know-it-all. Luckily, I am used to it, and know they do this out of love.
Paul Giamiati, the actor from Sideways, narrates the movie. Sideways started a genre of movies I like to call “The sad sad man.” After Sideways, there was a blitz of these types of films; a middle aged man is so overcome with despair and depression he spends the entire film moping around to finally realize he should shut the fuck up because he’s got it a hundred times better than most people. This genre contains such films as Wish I was Here, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Up In The Air and The Descendants.
The last two movies star George Clooney. George Clooney drives most women bonkers in a sexual way, but he makes my skin crawl. The way he charms himself more than anyone else is despicable and hard to watch. My repulsion towards George Clooney, and his being The World's Sexiest man, even with some horrific Roman/Frankenstein hair, has me wondering if I'm a repressed partial lesbian.
I am confident I am not complete lesbo because I have undeniable attraction toward men, currently and historically. Even unknown strangers can be attractive. Last summer, I went to Philadelphia and during a silent and hung over breakfast outside a bagel shop, I watched this street performer with the excitement of a panty-tossing groupie. He was missing a front tooth, and playing a banjo, but there was something luring about him.
In DUCKumentary there are plenty of interesting facts. A type of duck called Red Heads, lay some of their eggs in other ducks' nests in order to hedge bets that some chicks will survive if their own nest gets attacked by prey. Seems crazy, and I’m no animal expert, but clearly this mother’s concern for her chicks’ survival outweighs fostering a loving relationship.
Supposedly, red heads, the human kind, get a tough rap from the rest of the world. My friend Jane is a nurse, and told me that during her coursework there was a lecture on the abuse redheads receive from society. Perhaps the curriculum was outdated because I have never witnessed a negative misconception about redheads. All I have heard is the stereotype that they are crazy in bed, which I think is a pretty good stereotype to have.
My grandpa is a red head and, at 83, has a full head of red curly hair. I have never found him to be crazy, and my grandmother never gave me inside information as to how he behaved in the sheets, so I can’t attest to the stereotype. Out of their 6 children there was not a single red head, and only 1 of their 20 grandkids is a redhead.
The other day, I sat through the entire DUCKumentary movie for the first time, and realized the last couple minutes of the film go over duck mating. The mating scene is brief, lacking the Hollywood effects; nonetheless, loud tribal drumming is playing in the background. Duck mating looks like one duck balancing on the other’s back for a couple seconds. I scrunched up my face thinking about the 50 times my daughter has watched this movie, and awkwardly laughed.

I guess its better to get this birds and the bees business started early, and with the aid of an Emmy award winning PBS documentary. Hopefully, it builds the foundation to a healthy and self-aware sexual identity, so she doesn't have to ride the wave of sexual angst I bob along; wondering if my disliking of George Clooney indicates being a lesbian, but reaffirming heterosexuality based on the affection I felt towards a toothless street performer. Maybe it’s a red head thing, after all, its in my lineage.

Bonkers
Its in their lineage too

No comments:

Post a Comment